Immigration Lawyers for Civil Partner and Gay Couples
Westkin are proud of our immigration lawyer’s record in assisting bi-national gay couples with their immigration matters.
Immigration Rules allow foreign nationals who are gay or lesbian can remain in the United Kingdom if their partner is British or hold Indefinite Leave to Remain.
There are different, more generous rules in place if the partner is a European National.
There are different rules in place if you are the civil partner of a visa holder in the United Kingdom.
If your Civil Partner is British or holds Indefinite Leave
Your unmarried or same-sex partner may come with you to the United Kingdom, or join you here, if you:
- currently live in the United Kingdom or;
- if you are returning to the United Kingdom with him/her to live here permanently and to make your home here.
- The relationship may be a heterosexual or same-sex relationship, but you must not be related by blood, ie you cannot be cousins etc.
You must both be able to show that:
- any previous marriage or civil partnership that either of you was in has permanently broken down;
- you have both been living together as if you were married (or in a civil partnership) for at least two years; or are actually in a civil partnership
- you both have enough money to support yourself -this essentially requires that the UK sponsor earns 18,600 over a specific period of time or the couple have between them a substantial amount of savings. The UKBA introduced complex provisions for earnings assessment on 9th July 2012. Our immigration lawyers can assist, by way of a consultation in assessing whether you meet the financial requirements in place.
- You also need to prove that your relationship is genuine. This is usually proven by showing evidence of contact and living together.
The above terms can seem complex but they be met with careful planning. If you are in a committed relationship, we believe that with time and effort, you will be able to remain in the United Kingdom with your partner.
Our experienced Immigration Lawyers who are familiar with immigration cases with a same-sex element are on hand to provide friendly, clear, honest and professional advice.
Most couples benefit from a 1 hour consultation in order to assess:
(a) the merits of their case
(b) the costs of their case
(c) the timescales involved
(d) in order to establish an action plan moving forward.
At the end of the consultation you can decide if you want us to represent you in your immigration matters.
Amongst London’s immigration lawyers, barristers, or solicitors, we are confident to provide professional, honest, and the best immigration legal service for our clients from local or around the world.
17 Hanover Square, Mayfair
0207 1184 546
© 2019 Westkin – London Immigration Lawyers
Submit your review