In response to the Coronavirus we have increased our telephone & video call appointments, now available 7 days a week from 7am to 10pm

COVID 19 Update. 3rd of April 2020: Our offices remain open for business. New clients can choose to whether
they prefer a face to face or a video appointment. We have had no known cases in the office. Call for more details. Click here

Head Office:
5th Floor Maddox House, 1 Maddox Street, Mayfair, London, W1S 2PZ

How the EU Settlement Scheme impacts your naturalisation application

What are the current rules?

The British Nationality Act 1981 governs when a person can apply for British citizenship. If a person is married to a British national, they can apply as soon as they are free of immigration time restrictions and they’ve been resident in the UK for at least three years.  That means that they can usually apply as soon as they are granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK or settled status.  That comes from section 6(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

Section 6(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981 governs adult naturalisation and requires that an adult should ‘not at any time in the period of 12 months so, ending [been] subject under the immigration laws to any restriction on the period for which they might remain in the United Kingdom’.

What about EU Nationals?

European Economic Area (EEA) nationals who come within 6(1) have historically relied on the acquisition of permanent residence under the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (The Regulations) or its predecessors.  Under previous regulations, it was only necessary to prove to the naturalisation department that you had ‘acquired’ permanent residence through exercising treaty rights for five years or more and that you had retained that permanent residence for one year following. That changed in November 2015 requiring that a person obtains a Permanent Residence Card, or a document certifying permanent residence, prior to making a naturalisation application.  A person was still able to demonstrate five years permanent residence prior to the final year and obtain a letter from the decision-maker on the EEA application which showed permanent residence has been acquired a year or more ago. This allowed a person to make a naturalisation application as soon as their permanent residence card was received.

A person applying under the EU settlement scheme contained at Appendix EU of the Immigration Rules will not be granted document certifying permanent residence or a permanent residence card but will be granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK.  In that case, regardless of the time spent in the UK, an applicant will need to wait 12 months from the grant of indefinite leave to remain before applying for British citizenship.

What if you have resided in the UK for 5 years?

If you been resident in the UK for over five years and exercising treaty rights as a European national or a family member of European national, then you may be in a better position applying for a document certifying your permanent residence in the UK, or a permanent residence card, rather than applying for settled status under the new scheme. This is likely only to be relevant if you intend on applying to naturalise in the UK and would like to do so as soon as possible. If you do intend to do apply for naturalisation as a British national, please consider this position carefully. The permanent residence card application is lengthier and more arduous for the applicant. It is also necessary to show that you have been exercising treaty rights in the UK either as a worker, student, self-employed person, self-sufficient person and so on, or a family member of a person exercising treaty rights. If you have not been exercising treaty rights, then the permanent residence card application may not be suitable for you.

In addition to this, you should consider whether you are a national of another country and whether that country allows dual citizenship prior to making a British citizenship application. In some instances, a British citizen application could nullify your other citizenship. 


With the end of free movement to the EU, EU applicants only have till 30 June 2021 to submit their application for the EU Settlement Scheme.

To get the best advice on all immigration matters call 0207 118 4546 or email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Prove That You Are Human! *

Immigration Cases

What we're saying



Read All

  • How to apply for bail?

    If you are detained in immigration detention, whether that is in an immigration detention centre, or in a prison, you can apply for bail. This ...

    Read More

  • How to deal with a civil penalty for employing illegal workers: Part 2

    Write a written objection The first stage in dealing with a civil penalty that’s been issued is to write a written objection to the Home ...

    Read More

  • Case Law Update: Disabilities, Female Students, False Imprisonment and Afghan Sikhs

    Examining the Restricted Leave Policy R (on the application of MBT) v Secretary of State for the Home Department (restricted leave; ILR; disability discrimination) [2019] UKUT ...

    Read More

  • How to deal with a civil penalty for employing illegal workers: Part 1

    This blog considers the civil penalties for employing illegal workers, although there are also criminal penalties for knowingly employing an illegal worker. If an employer ...

    Read More

  • What to do if you’ve employed a disqualified person

    Section 21 Immigration, Asylum and Nationality 2006 makes it an offence for an employer to employ anyone knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that ...

    Read More

Book Your
Free Consultation