Head Office:
3rd Floor Maddox House, 1 Maddox Street, Mayfair, London, W1S 2PZ

Six Top Tips on Gay Marriage and Immigration to the UK

The UK Immigration rules for Gay Couples remain relatively generous compared to other Western countries. They create a popular visa route for many same sex couples who are interested in moving out their own countries. They are however, quite difficult to find and the information is not presented well on the UKBA website, we hope this list of FAQ’s helps.

Here is our list of top FAQ’s on Civil Partnership Immigration.

1. How can I join my partner in the UK?

– If the Sponsor has British nationality or Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) status, sponsorship is a possibility. However, the Sponsor and Applicant must first fulfil the Financial, Accommodation, English Language requirements. You must either apply indicating an intention to enter Civil Partnership, already be in a Civil Partnership with one another or have co-habited together for a period of 24 months as a couple.

2. Can my Civil Partner & I enter into Civil Partnership in the UK?

– Yes. You can make a Settlement application indicating intention to marry in the UK. You will need to show the same requirements as above. However, in addition, you must indicate what steps you have taken to enter into Civil Partnership within the proscribed 6 months upon arrival into the UK.

– After your Civil Partnership ceremony, you may apply to switch into the Civil Partnership category by either same-day or postal service.

3. Should my partner and I get married in the UK to help with immigration into the UK?

– Not necessarily. Marriage is not the only means of sponsorship. If the Sponsor and Applicant have been living together for more than 2 years in a relationship akin marriage, they may qualify under the Unmarried Partners visa provisions.

4. Will my civil partnership be legal in the UK?

– For a list of countries where relationships are automatically recognised as civil partnerships, please note Schedule 20 of the Civil Partnership Act 2004.

5. Where must I make the application from?

– You must make the application for leave to enter from a country where you have residence or nationality. This application will then be submitted to one of the UK visa application centres for consideration.

– You may make an application from within the UK. This is only possible if you hold a visa which is valid for longer than 6 months and that permits a switch to occur (e.g. from Tier 2, Tier 4 Student, etc). You may not switch from a Visitor visa.

6. What kind of visa will I get?

  • You will get a 2 year Settlement visa. After two years, you will be entitled to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain and British Citizenship thereafter.

Contact our immigration lawyers today to commence your case.

Our team of expert lawyers and solicitors and Westkin are on hand to help you with your case, no matter how complex. Our team have worked across a wealth of cases, from simple and straight forward application processes, to more complicated claims. We are on hand to assist you with your needs, whatever those may be. We make a promise to our clients that we will offer them with a fast, honest and reliable service and we endeavour to offer this in all that we do. If you are interested in discussing your immigration queries with a member of our team, please do not hesitate to get in touch and we will be happy to assist you. You can email us, give us a call or use the contact form at the top of the page to get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you.

Westkin Associates


5th Floor, Maddox House,
1 Maddox Street
United Kingdom
0207 118 4546

Immigration Cases


Read All

  • Amnesty for Visa Overstayers

    Earlier in 2021, the UK goverment held a parliamentary debate considering a petition for amnesty for undocumentented migrants, the discussions curtailed how the rhetoric of ...

    View: Amnesty for Visa Overstayers

  • UK Scale Up Visa

    The UK Scale Up Visa is aimed at “opening [the UK’s] borders to top talent”. The route will be open to people who have a ...

    View: UK Scale Up Visa

  • Afghanistan Citizens Resettlement Scheme

    In response to the ongoing escalation of events in Afghanistan, the UK government have announced a new resettlement scheme for Afghan citizens known as the Afghan ...

    View: Afghanistan Citizens Resettlement Scheme

  • Spouse Visas: Should The Minimum Income Rule Be Rethought?

    The UK Spouse Visa allows individuals to come and live in the UK permanently with their partner. It requires individuals to be able to prove ...

    View: Spouse Visas: Should The Minimum Income Rule Be Rethought?

  • The Top Immigration Stories Of The Week – December 2020

    We are nearing the end of 2020, a year which has brought much turmoil for many across the world. With the pandemic still reaching new ...

    View: The Top Immigration Stories Of The Week – December 2020

Special Services

Book A Weekend Appointment Now

Weekend Services

Book A Same Day Appointment Now

Same Day Services


Premium Client Services

our high net worth immigration premium services

High Net Worth Individuals


our celebrity and public figure  immigration premium services

Figures & Celebrities


our immigration services for sports people

Leading Sports Persons


our immigration services for businesses

International Business Persons


Looking to hire an immigration lawyer?
Book your free consultation