Westkin Associates

Our Services

Indefinite Leave and Citizenship FAQ’S

We often apply for extensions, indefinite leave and British nationality for clients especially in situations. Find answers to your FAQ’s here.

View This Service

Special questions

FAQs regarding Indefinite Leave and Citizenship

The expiry date is for the card only and your underlying indefinite leave is still valid forever.
Yes, those who have indefinite leave have the same rights to bring family members to the UK as British nationals do.
This rule states that if you've been outside of the UK for more than 2 years, you can be asked to prove your connections to the UK remain active so as to justify you retaining Indefinite Leave to Remain.
The simplest way to avoid this is to make sure that you enter the UK every 2 years after you are granted indefinite leave to remain.
In reality, there is not much difference. Of course a British national can vote in elections, but an indefinite leave holder can live in the UK without restriction.
Children born in the UK where parents hold indefinite leave to remain can apply to be British straight away.
All Relationship, Working and Business visas lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain, Student and Graduate visas however do not.
Yes. If your home country does not allow for dual nationality, your indefinite leave status will not be affected by this.
Potentially, yes. There are a number of options for those with historic links to the UK – some allow for nationality to be granted straight away, others allow for visa status to be granted on the basis of UK ancestry.
Once you have obtained British Citizenship, you will receive a certificate confirming this status. If you wish to apply for a British passport soon after, this can be done without a great deal of trouble. Westkin can help you with both citizenship and acquiring your passport.

Additional FAQs

No, where as you may be asked some questions there will not be a formal interview to question the terms of your visa.
Commercial processor the Home Office use to run their application centres, largely abroad. They specialise in the admin process of fingerprints and photos and documents. They do not make the decision – the body who decides are external to the VFS.
The Home Office use to run their application centres, largely in the United Kingdom. They specialise in the admin process of fingerprints and photos and documents. They do not make the decision – the body who decides are external to the Sopra Steria.
Almost certainly not. As the decision has not been made and the decision-making body are holding your passport at this time.
We recommend you enter no later than 3 months after being granted. There are special conditions on certain visas which make it crucial you enter before 3 months. Call our office for more details.
Usually not – this depends on the visa in question. Usually, Home Office will require cash on hand or in rare cases other forms of investments. Before acting on this you should speak to our specialist lawyers, and they can advise you on the best route.
It is imperative that you declare all previous offences. We cannot promote your case on a false basis. Important to note the Home Office will have record of most offenses. By declaring them, they often have no influence on your case and decision.
If you have a valid visa you can remain within the UK for 6 months. If it expires whilst you’re in the UK, you cannot stay beyond that date regardless of if the 6 months period.

Explore related FAQs by category

Asylum and Overstayers FAQ’s

If your visa Asylum or Overstayer application doesn't stand out - it's much likely to be granted by the Home...

View FAQs

Business, Investment, Talent and Innovator FAQ’s

There are a number of business visas available to all nationalities looking to start a business in the UK, take...

View FAQs

Immigration Appeal and Refusals FAQ’s

For advice on appealing against visa refusals and overturning wrongful Home Office Decisions, please take a look at our FAQ’s...

View FAQs

Other Visas for Individuals FAQ’s

Westkin specialise in UK immigration and therefore we are able to advise on many of the visa options which are...

View FAQs

Skilled and Temporary Work Visas FAQ’s

Any UK Business, no matter the size, can hire from abroad so long as they have the appropriate licences, take...

View FAQs

Spouse and Family FAQ’s

There are a number of options for those who are married, in long-term relationships, in same-sex relationships, or with difficult...

View FAQs

Student and Graduate FAQ’s

Aside from the UK's Graduate Visa, there are a number of direct visa options which lead to an English passport....

View FAQs

Looking to hire an immigration lawyer?

We guarantee that only a fully qualified immigration lawyer will take this appointment with you.

Quality Score

The more information you give us the better we can advise you.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Not ready to start your case?

Learn more about Special Visa Options, Life in the UK and how to select a Lawyer.

Download Free Info Pack