Antigua – Citizenship by Investment
Antigua has announced that it will commence a 2nd passport or citizenship by investment starting from 2013. The details of this program are yet to be announced, but it is envisaged that it will run in similar terms to the St. Kitts program.
Please check back for more details as they are announced.
In the interim, please find the proposals as to how the Antigua government feels the program should work:
Antigua Citizenship Investment Options (Proposed)
Applicants to the CIP can choose from any of the following investment offerings:
(a) Real estate purchase – US$ 400,000.
(b) Business investment – US$ 1.5 million.
(c) One-off cash payment to a National Development Fund (NDF) – US$ 200,000.
(d) Charitable contribution to a registered a charity in Antigua – US$ 200,000.
How the Antigua Citizenship by Investment passport works
(a) The Antigua CIP passport would be valid for a period of 5 years, renewable.
(b) Antigua nationality would be for life.
(c) The right to vote is not automatic, whereas it has to be applied for.
How to qualify for Antigua citizenship – requirements
(a) An initial due diligence process will need to be completed successfully.
(b) Applicants may be required to attend an interview at the relevant department.
(c) A certificate of good health must be presented by applicant.
(d) A criminal history that disclose any of the following offences would be barred from consideration:
- Crimes against humanity.
- Drug trafficking and related offenses.
- Sexual offenses.
- Capital offenses.
- Money laundering.
- Terrorism and its financing.
- Human trafficking.
- Migrant smuggling and piracy.
(e) There would be no automatic disqualification of specific jurisdictions.
(f) Applicants must deposit 100% of the contract sum after due diligence is completed.
(g) A beneficiary of a CIP passport through property purchase must retain ownership of property for a minimum of five (5) years. During the five years, the, property may be sold as long as the CIP citizen acquires another property for at least US$ 400,000. Ownership of property cannot work retrospectively.
Antigua Citizenship – Residency Requirements
(a) A requirement of minimum 15 days annually or 75 days over a 5-year period. Where upon application for renewal of a passport it was determined that the CIP citizen has not fulfilled the residency requirement, he would be required to comply with the same prior to renewal.
(b) Applicants may be 18 years or older.
(c) Dual (multiple) citizenship is allowed.
* Citizenship fees and processing fees apply.
How the Antigua Passport Application process works
- Application submitted to CIU by CIP agent.
- Payment of aplicable fees made to CIU.
- Application forwarded by CIU to International Due Diligence Service Provider.
- International due diligence service provider forwards report to CIU.
- Interview of Applicants conducted by CIU.
- CIU makes decision regarding granting of citizenship.
- Payment of funds into Escrow Agent.
- Notification of Approval sent to Honourable Prime Minister.
- Notification of Approval/Refusal sent to CIP Agent.
- Swearing of Oath of Allegiance and Issuance of Passport by Passport Office.
You can email, call, or use the contact box on the top-right of the screen.
©2015 Westkin Associates – Immigration Lawyer London
Submit your review